Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Pre-Reading "Instructional Strat."

I decided to use a very contemporary approach in Middle School education, and that is "pre-reading." Our school has donated a lot of professional development in studying the impact that pre-reading strategies has on student learning.

Before we read anything in class, we usually do something to guide the level of understanding that students have already about the subject. Perhaps we would do a "K-W-L chart" to see just how much information the group as a whole has about the topic.

In this instance, the topic I am about to read is about "Instructional Strategies." I believe that it is important to vary your instructional strategy, as I mentioned earlier, to reach all learners. For instance, one lesson I may begin with note-taking to help the learners who prefer auditory learning or are more organizational. While other times, I may arrange my class into groups so that they can "solve the puzzle" of the new topic together. This will help the interpersonal, kinesthetic learners who need to be more 'hands-on' with their learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment